|
July. I first draw the full size design on plastic and use this pattern to cut tiles.
Each tile is numbered on the plastic and the bottom off the clay tiles.
July- Aug. These are some of the first tiles cut. Drying between drywall and sheets.
There are about 250 tiles on each panel, so about 500 tiles total in this project.
September. One panel of bisque (the first firing) tiles completed.
Studio view
October. The first metal frame in the metal shop.
I designed them, but E2 Innovations fabricated them.
October. Glazing.
Two glazed suns after the second firing.
9 kiln loads of glaze firing.
10 different colors of glaze.
October. The first metal frame arrives in my studio.
Now powder coated with finished color and ready to fill with tiles.
Weighs approximately 250 lbs.
Each metal panel had to have cement board cut to fit it.
Then it was epoxied and bolted into place.
This is the surface that I thinset the tiles to.
Mid October. Tiles laid out but not attached.
November - December. The long process of cutting tiles on the tile saw
and then thinsetting them in place permanently.
By this point I have handled each tile at least 10 times.
Mid November. The first panel grouted and completed.
Right after this picture was taken, this panel was lifted (500 lbs. now) and loaded on the truck and the second empty panel took its place in my studio.
This was such a good day in some ways and then a very depressing day in other ways.
I had to do it all over again!
I finished grouting the second panel on January 4.
The second panel was picked up on January 7.
It was installed on January 8 by E2 Innovations.
Final results were posted at the beginning of this post.







No comments:
Post a Comment