Hello Friends! Hope you are all doing well and staying positive in these trying times. I have a few pieces in some shows in the Phoenix area that I wanted to tell you about, and I made a video that you can view also.
The piece above, Great Grandma's Crazy Quilt Transformed, is currently in an exhibition: Artists’ Breakfast Club, 20 Years at the Scottsdale Civic Center Library from Oct. 5 - Dec. 31, 2020. Currently the hours are Mon & Wed 10am - 6pm and Fri & Sat 1pm - 5pm.
In my last post I showed some in progress views of this piece. This image shows 9 squares of a paper quilt I am making from lists that I have collected for 20 years. The pattern is based on my Great Grandma’s crazy quilt, about 120 years old, that my Grandma gave me, and is hanging in my house. A section of it is shown below. I have sewn the small pieces together on a sewing machine that my Mom gave me and is over 50 years old. Some of the lists include my daughter’s handwriting as well as my Mom’s. Five generations of moms and daughters are represented in this quilt. Although this piece is in a show, this is a work in progress. The original quilt is 25 squares, but this 3 square x 3 square section is what would fit for the size requirement of the exhibition. Currently, I have 9 more squares completed in my studio. Only 7 more to go!
Notice the detail of the embroidery stitching that I did to connect the squares together. This proved to be a learning experience and took quite a long time. It's not easy to embroider, and embroidering on paper has added to the level of difficulty. But I really like the results! I have the utmost admiration and respect for all of the embroidery that my Great Grandma did on the original quilt. The more I work on this project, the more I appreciate her quilt.
The Artists' Breakfast Club is a group that was formed by Beth Ames Swartz 20 years ago. I have only been involved for about 5 years. Before Covid, we had monthly meetings that Beth organized with curators, gallery owners, museums, and other inspiring people and places. It has been a great group for me to get to know other artists and always learn something new. About 40 artists from the group are featured in this exhibition and it can be viewed online here:
In coordination with this exhibition, I recently made a 30 minute video for Scottsdale Arts Learning & Innovations about my process of making my paper list quilt, and incorporated an at home art project that is fun for all. Click below to watch and read about it.
And finally, I am still drawing everyday for my Visual Days - Decade 3 project. We are approaching the 300th day of this very long year. Here are some highlights from the past 2 months:
August 2020
September 2020:
To follow this project everyday go to the link below and follow my @visualday.decade3 Instagram account. I post a new drawing everyday. Less than 100 days to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment