Friday, December 30, 2022

Art News

 

Happy New Year! I hope this finds you well and reflecting on the good times of 2022 and planning for great things in 2023. I thought I would try to squeze in an update before 2022 ended. I have lots of exciting things happening in my studio. First, SAVE the DATE
 
VISUAL DAYS
By Heidi Dauphin
A solo exhibition featuring three year long projects
with art made or collected everyday in the years
2000, 2010 & 2020
 
Opening Reception: Friday, February 17, 2023
6:30 – 9 pm 
Exhibition Dates: February 17 – March 17, 2023

 
At Walter Art Gallery
6425 E Thomas Rd, Scottsdale, AZ
January 1, 2000 and December 31, 2000
January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010
January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020

I am very excited to be having this solo show. It will be my first solo exhibition since grad school in 2001. It will feature all three of my year long projects in a combined installation. I have also been challenged by the curator to make a new piece that relates to each year. For the piece that will relate to 2020, I am challenging all of you to make a Visual Day in the size of the Artist Trading Cards (ATC) that I drew on everyday in 2020. If you live close or far, please be a part of this exhibition by contributing YOUR visual day.

The only requirement is that it records YOUR day in Jan. 2023!
It can be a drawing, collage, photo, or an object you find and attach to the card, or anything else you can think of.
 
The card must be 2.5” x 3.5”
The card must include:
 1) Your name
2) The date you recorded
3) Where you are from
(you can put this on the back if you want)
 
Please return by Jan. 22 to 3516 E. Becker Ln, Phoenix, AZ 85028
I will start installing the show on Jan. 30 and need to arrange/combine your creations into a new art piece in the last week of January!
If you have questions, please email me back. 
Thank you in advance to for contributing to this art installation!

 
You can view all of the art from 2000 & 2010 here on my blog!
You can view all of the art from 2020 here on Instagram
Next, I have been working hard in my garage studio to finish the public art project that I started earlier this year. It is one more day of grouting away from being done. I don't know when installation will be, but I will send another art news when I have finished installation photos. It will be installed at Alamar Residential Community in Avondale, AZ sometime in 2023. I am one of about 15 artists that have been hired to make unique pieces for this community.

My working title for this piece is, Turning Landscapes, 1939, 1979, 2019. These are the first 5 panels on triangular wedges that will eventually be installed on poles and spin. Each of the 3 sides are based on maps of the area at different times. This section is from 1939, which I refer to as the organic rivers.
This section is based on maps from 1979 in the Avondale area and I call it the farm section.
This section is based on maps of the area from 2019 and actually show the Alamar development. I call this the subdivision section. I haven't stacked these all together yet, because they are so heavy now. I think each wedge weighs about 70-80 lbs. Four of the five pieces are 18x18" on each side. 
 
E2 Innovations made the metal frames, construction drawings, and will install the piece. Hopefully the model and these drawings can give you a sense of how the final sculpture will look. 

Last, I currently have two pieces in two different shows. Great Grandma's Crazy Quilt Transformed is hanging in Art Quilts XXVII: Revitalized at Vision Gallery in Chandler, AZ until January 7, 2023. (One more week!) All of the quilts in this show need to be made of at least 50% of recycled materials. My quilt is made from the paper lists I collected for over 20 years. (I started collecting those lists in 2000 when I was working on my first year long project and the lists became a key element in the postcards I was creating everyday.) I was very honored to have my quilt chosen for the gallery's promotion material and announcement card. I was also interviewed by KJZZ, Phoenix's local NPR station, about this piece, but the interview hasn't aired yet.


10x10x10=1000, is in the 22nd Annual ArtLink Juried Exhibition, at the FoundRe Hotel through February 2023. I was very excited to be accepted into this exhibition and then to receive an Honorable Mention for this piece in this show!

Many people are enjoying the Mathematical Art Puzzle within this piece. I have written about this piece before, but to refresh your memory here is the statement about it:

This piece is made with 1000 tiny items. 
These items are arranged on 100 colorful blocks. 
Each block contains 10 items. 
There are 100 different items.
Each item appears 10 times on 10 different blocks. 
No block contains the same 10 items. 
Each block is a unique arrangement.
The center of each block contains two items stacked on top of each other.
All 100 different items appear once in the center, top location of each block.
There are 10 different locations that each item can appear on each block.
The same 10 items never appear in the same location on the blocks,
except for 10 anomalies….. 
Can you find them?
 

I continue to work part time as the Exhibitions Manager at Shemer Art Center and installed seven shows this past year and look forward to seven more in 2023. I have seen incredible artwork and met amazing artists at Shemer and I really enjoy that! Thanks for your continued support in my art career. It means a lot to me. I hope to see you soon!
Stay safe, healthy, and creative in 2023 and enjoy your friends and family when you can,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment