Thursday, February 3, 2022

 

Hello Friends!

I hope this finds you doing well and and staying healthy in 2022. I am very excited to tell you that I have two pieces in the 43rd Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition at the Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum. I have know about this show since I was in grad school (1999-2001) in Ann Arbor, MI. I have applied to it several times over the past 20 years and finally got in. Beth C. McLaughlin, Artistic Director and Chief Curator for the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, MA was the guest juror for this show. For locals the show opens on Feb. 11, 2022 and runs through April 24, 2022.

There is an opening reception on Feb. 11 from 7-10pm, but I am feeling a little uncomfortable about being there as this museum does not require masks. I thought I would make my own opening when there will hopefully be less people there. On Sat. March 5, I will be at the Museum from 2-4pm. Please let me know if you can be there or if you would like me to join you on your visit at another time. I'd be happy to meet you there.
Great Grandma's Crazy Quilt Transformed, (2020-2021)
67 x 61", will be shown

This is the 3rd time I've shown this piece and each time it has been displayed differently. This time I have added a fabric backing and border that is the same color as the original quilt and will now allow the entire quilt to hang freely.
The 1st detail below shows writing from my Grandma who gave me the original quilt from my Great Grandma. The 2nd detail shows writing from my Mom who taught me to sew. The 3rd detail shows writing from my Daughter at two different stages of her life. The 4th detail shows my embroidered initials reflective of my Great Grandma's initials on the original quilt. This quilt represents five generations of women in my family and is extremely sentimental to me.
10 x 10 x 10 = 1000, (2019)
40 x 40 x 3.5", will also be shown
I have written about this piece before, but to refresh your memory here is the statement about it:

Mathematical Art Puzzle:
This piece is made with 1000 tiny items. 
These items are arranged on 100 colorful blocks. 
Each block contains 10 items. 
There are 100 different items.
Each item appears 10 times on 10 different blocks. 
No block contains the same 10 items. 
Each block is a unique arrangement.
The center of each block contains two items stacked on top of each other.
All 100 different items appear once in the center, top location of each block.
There are 10 different locations that each item can appear on each block.
The same 10 items never appear in the same location on the blocks,
except for 10 anomalies….. 
Can you find them?
 
As promised in my last update, I said that I would share some of my plans for my next public art project for a new housing development in Avondale, AZ called Alamar. The working title for now is Turning Landscapes.

Please excuse my crude drawings and paper model, but this is the way I work. Imagine two of these poles with rotating wedges on them. One pole will have three wedges, while the next pole will only have two wedges. The wedges have three sides each that will have hand made ceramic tile on each side. The wedges will be able to turn and be viewed  in a variety of combinations.
 

These drawings show 5 faces of the triangular wedges that represent organic rivers and land shapes, inspired by a map of the area from 1937. Color tile samples show blues for water and browns for land.
 

Here I show the 5 faces that represent how farms and roads have divided the land into geometric shapes, inspired by a map of the area from 1979. The tiles show colors from the previous palette with the addition of bright greens representing human made farm plots and the result of irrigating the land.
 

Last are drawings that show the more intricate geometric patterns of subdivisions inspired by a map of the area from 2019. Color tiles from the previous palette with the additions of lots of bright colors represent human made structures and population growth.
 

Thanks for your continued support. It means a lot to me.
Stay safe, healthy, and creative in 2022 and enjoy your friends and family when you can,
Heidi


 

To see more about my work
follow me on Instagram and check out my website and blog!
 
Heidi's Website
@HeidiDauphin
Website
Email
Instagram
Copyright © *2022 Heidi Dauphin, Artist
All rights reserved.



My email, blog, and website are:
hdauphin21@yahoo.com
heididauphin@gmail.com
www.heididauphin.blogspot.com
www.heididauphin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment