Friday, November 7, 2025

Art News from Heidi Dauphin 11/2025

 

 
Hello Friends! 

I've been lax about keeping up with my email updates, but I hope that this finds you all happy and healthy and enjoying fall. I'll try to fill you in on what I have been doing for the past 6-8 months in my studio and beyond.
 
Please join me if you can to see two of my paper quilts on display in  
 
 Art Quilts 30: Palette Cleanser
opening Saturday, November 8 from 4-6pm
at Vision Gallery

10 E Chicago St, Chandler, AZ 85225
 
I am so honored to have two pieces chosen by juror, Susan Allred, an incredible fiber artist, and to be challenged by her theme of minimalism. The idea of minimalism is not something that often occurs in my creative brain, but the two paper quilts that I have in this exhibition were made for and inspired by her call for minimalism.  Above is Penny Date Quilt (My Life so Far) - 15x25"  and below is Every 28 (or 21) Days for 31 Years 13.5 x 22.5”. These are both autobiographical but in different ways and have never been shown before! This is my 4th year in a row having a piece in the quilt show, so I guess I'm on to something, but I still feel like a quilt imposter. The Art Quilt show at Vision Gallery is always an excellent show, and I can't wait to see the rest of the work. If you can't make it on Saturday, the exhibition runs through Jan 10, 2026.

 


I was also invited by friend and artist, Daniel Prendergast, to be a part of the Five15 Arts Summer Invitational in July and August. I showed
Rusted Circles - Ceramic Squares
which was a new piece that was reworked from the ceramic squares that I had from over 25 years ago. I am so happy that someone loved this piece enough to purchase it, but I was also sad to see it go so soon after it's rebirth. Now I'm on the hunt for more rusted circles! 

When I am not working on my own studio practice, I am busy creating public art. 8 months ago I told you about a new public art project that I started for Meyer Park for the City of Tempe. The residents of three Tempe neighborhoods (Hughes Acres, Rural Geneva, and Meyer Park) wanted a sculpture in their neighborhood park that represented all three neighborhoods that used the park, and to show some of the history where they live. I installed
3 Neighborhoods – 1 Park, 1930 -2025
with the help of E2 Innovations in June when it was about 115 degrees. It's much more comfortable to go see and enjoy it now and it's only about a mile south of the sculpture I made for University Heights Neighborhood last year.

The top wedge depicts maps of what the neighborhoods looked like in 1930 with today’s neighborhood border shown in a different color. The middle wedge shows the outline of each neighborhood as well as its name. The bottom wedge portrays maps of the neighborhoods as they appear today and illustrate the growth, population, and development that has taken place over almost 100 years. The sculpture gives a historical reference for Hughes Acres, Rural Geneva, and Meyer Park neighborhoods and because of the spinning motion of the wedges it also provides a game for park visitors to line up the neighborhoods by matching shapes and colors.
Last photo is credited to Michael Williams.
Address for this piece is Meyer Park, 2717 S. Dorsey Ln, Tempe, AZ 85282
Address for University Heights piece is 1131 S. Una Ave, Tempe, AZ 85281
In the summer of 2024 I was asked by Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture and Phoenix Office of Heat Response and Mitigation to design some shade structures for intersections throughout Phoenix. In August I got the chance to see my designs come to life in laser cut and powder coated metal delivered on a flat bed truck. I am still awaiting the install and the final built design. Two other artists also worked on this for a total of 3 designs that will be repeated in over 20 structures throughout Phoenix. Here are the drawings and nature that inspired the design.
Thank you for your continued support from near and far!


To see more about my work
follow me on Instagram (This is where the most current updates are)
and check out my website and blog!

 
@HeidiDauphin
Heidi's Website

Website
Email
Instagram
Copyright © *2025 Heidi Dauphin, Artist
All rights reserved.



My email, blog, and website are:
heididauphin@gmail.com
www.heididauphin.blogspot.com
www.heididauphin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment