Friday, October 4, 2024

Art News from Heidi Dauphin 10/2024


 
Hello Friends! 

On October 1, I installed this new public artwork with the help of E2 Innovations and many people and departments at the City of Tempe. It is located in the University Heights Neighborhood in Tempe, AZ, just north of Apache Blvd on S Una Butte Ave. This one has taken about a year with all of the planning and design that went into it, but I have been working on it in my studio since about May. 

Below you can see close ups of the panels that I made showing maps of the neighborhood constructed from handmade ceramic tile. These colorful panels show the evolution of the neighborhood over the past 94 years from farmland to a vibrant city neighborhood. The years 1930, 1949, 1969, and 2024 are depicted in aerial views of the changing landscape. I hope the neighborhood enjoys this for many years to come.

 
1930
1949
1969
2024


I would also like to invite you to the closing reception of RECYCLAMATION!
Tomorrow night, Oct. 4, if you are in the Phoenix area.
It is at 
First Studio Gallery
631 N 1st Ave. Suite 11
Phoenix, AZ 85003
6-9pm

I am very honored to have 4 pieces in this show representing a mini retrospective of the last 5 years of my studio work with found and collected objects. There is a lot of fabulous art here using many unique materials. 
 


Finally if you are interested in how and what I do for 5 months in my studio to make a public art piece happen, here are some process pictures:

It starts with drawing, that I do on plastic.
Then I use those drawings to cut the tile from the wet clay.
The tile have to dry 2-6 days and then are bisque fired to about 1200 degrees.
Next the tiles are glazed. This took an extraordinarily long time with all of those little squares representing houses and buildings.
And fired again, but this time to about 2400 degrees!
Then all of the tiles have to be stuck in place with thinset and then grouted.
Each tile is handled about 10 times from beginning to end.
Finally, install day, after a lot of background work fabricating all of the metal parts that E2 Innovations does.
Placement, pole setting and leveling, concrete mixing for foundations, and lots of heavy lifting!
I have two pieces already accepted to shows in November and January and I am working on some new stuff in my studio right now. I also have signed a new contract with another neighborhood in Tempe for a piece in a park. Stay tuned ..... and go to instagram for more timely updates.
 
Thank you for your continued support from near and far!


To see more about my work
follow me on Instagram and check out my website and blog!
 
@HeidiDauphin
Heidi's Website
Website
Email
Instagram
Copyright © *2024 Heidi Dauphin, Artist
All rights reserved.



My email, blog, and website are:
heididauphin@gmail.com
www.heididauphin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment